Building/Zoning Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A Zoning Permit is required to build all types of structures such as:

  • House
  • Shed
  • Fence
  • Deck
  • Utility buildings
  • Temporary structures
  • Change of use

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to apply?

  • Application
  • Drawing showing:
    • Location of the proposed structure
    • Dimensions or size of structure
    • Closest distance to other structures (if less than 20 feet away from where you want to build)
    • Closest distances to all property lines (including the right-of-way line along streets)
  • If building a new house or home addition:
    • Floor plan of the house or addition

How can I apply?

Submit completed application:


In Person: Turn in an application directly to our office:

Cerro Gordo County Courthouse
220 N Washington Avenue
Mason City, IA, 50401

By Mail: Mail an application to address above.