Voter Registration Requirements
Registering to vote is a legal requirement to vote in Iowa. To register a person must:
- be at least 18 years old by Election Day
- be a United States citizen
- be an Iowa resident
- not have been convicted of a felony (or, if convicted of a felony, have had voting rights restored)
- not have been judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
How to Register to Vote
To vote in Iowa, you must be registered to vote. You can register in one of the following ways:
1. Complete the Iowa Voter Registration Form and return to the Cerro Gordo County Auditor's office.
2. Online Voter Registration (will need valid Iowa Driver's License or non-operator ID)
3. Election Day Voter Registration
You may register and vote on election day. To do so, you first must go to the correct polling place for your current address on election day. If you are unsure of your polling place, Find Your Precinct/Polling Place.
A person who registers at the polls on Election Day must provide one form of Proof of Identity:
- Iowa Driver's License or Non-operator's ID
- Out-of-state Driver's License or Non-operator's ID
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Military ID or Veteran's ID
- ID card issued by employer
- Student ID issued by Iowa high school or college
- Tribal ID/document
If Proof of Identity does not contain the voter's current address, one form of Proof of Residence must be provided:
- Residential lease
- Utility bill (including a cell phone bill)
- Bank statement
- Government check
- Other government document
- Property tax statement (current within 45 days of final payment date)
No ID or Residence? You Will Need An Attester
If you cannot prove who you are and where you live with the documents listed above, a registered voter from your precinct may attest for you. Both you and the attester will be required to sign an oath swearing the statements being made are true.
Falsely attesting or being attested for is registration fraud. It is a class “D” felony and is punishable by a fine of up to $7,500 and up to 5 years in prison.